ASDA Money payment protection insurance (PPI), also known as loan repayment insurance, credit insurance or credit protection insurance was designed so that the borrower could make repayments to ASDA Money if they were unable to earn income to service the debt. This shouldn't be confused with income protection insurance which is not usually attached to a debt. PPI was widely sold by ASDA Money as an add-on to the loan or an overdraft product.
ASDA Money PPI usually covered payments for a minimum of 12 months, this gave the borrower enough time to find alternative means of making repayments such as going back to work.
Some ASDA Money PPI policies were sold without the consumer even aware that PPI was added onto their loan. Some consumers claim that ASDA Money informed them that their application for a loan, credit card or mortgage would be declined if they didn't take out ASDA Money payment protection insurance. In some cases this led to fear of losing a loan and the borrower would accept the ASDA Money PPI even though they may not of even needed it.
ASDA Money may have mis-sold you PPI if any of the below statements are relevant to you at the point of sale:
- Were you aware that ASDA Money had added PPI to your agreement?
- If you were not aware PPI had been added to your agreement by ASDA Money, it may have been added without your consent or it may have been opt-out box which was not obvious.
- Did you feel pressured into purchasing the ASDA Money PPI policy?
- A simple assessment of your personal circumstances to determine if PPI was of any benefit to you should have been carried out by ASDA Money, with no pressure or hard selling.
- Were you led to believe that the ASDA Money PPI policy was compulsory to your finance agreement?
- If a PPI policy was required for the finance agreement, ASDA Money should have made you aware that you had the right to shop around OR if you had pre-existing cover elsewhere, ASDA Money should not have sold you another PPI policy.
- Were you older than the upper age limit for your ASDA Money PPI policy?
- If ASDA Money had an upper age limit on the PPI policy and you were above this set age, you would not have been covered.
- Did you have a pre-existing medical condition at time you were sold your PPI policy by ASDA Money?
- If you were ever unable to work throughout the term of your ASDA Money PPI policy due to the pre-existing medical condition, you would not have been covered by the ASDA Money PPI policy.
- Did ASDA Money make you aware that part of your PPI premiums may have been paid as commission?
- The Plevin ruling means that if over 50% of your PPI premiums were paid in commission to ASDA Money, you were mis-sold and are due a PPI refund.
- Did ASDA Money enquire if you had PPI cover elsewhere that would of covered repayments?
- ASDA Money should have asked if you had pre-existing PPI cover elsewhere as this would have been sufficient.
- Did ASDA Money make you aware of any exclusions or circumstances in which you would not be eligible to make a claim?
- If you weren’t told by ASDA Money about the exclusions, or circumstances in which you couldn’t claim, you may have been mis-sold your ASDA Money PPI policy.
- Did ASDA Money make you aware about cancelling your PPI policy?
- You should have been made aware by ASDA Money that you had the right to cancel your PPI policy within the cooling off period.
- Was the term of your ASDA Money PPI cover shorter than the term of the finance agreement AND did ASDA Money not explain that there would be a period of no PPI cover towards the end of your finance agreement?
- If ASDA Money did not explain that you would be unprotected for any period of time throughout the finance agreement, you have been mis-sold your ASDA Money PPI policy.
- When you were sold your PPI policy by ASDA Money, were you unemployed, self-employed or retired?
- If you were unemployed, self-employed or retired when ASDA Money sold you your PPI policy, you would not have been covered and therefore the ASDA Money PPI policy would have been of no benefit to you.
- Was the total cost of the ASDA Money PPI policy clearly explained to you at the point of sale?
- ASDA Money should have explained every aspect of any costs relating to your PPI agreement. Failure to do so would be considered a big mis-selling factor.
If you have a successful PPI complaint against ASDA Money upheld, you would be entitled to a full refund PPI paid to ASDA Money, a full refund of any interest charged on the PPI by ASDA Money and a compensation interest of 8% per annum on both of those combined.